The OAHS journal Oxoniensia is now available online. All but the most recent five volumes are freely available under a Creative Commons licence; the most recent volumes are available to subscribers.
The Making of Chipping Norton: History and Buildings to 1750
|Lecturer: Adrienne Rosen|
|Date: October 31st 2017|
|Time: 5.30pm – 6.30pm|
|Place: Rewley House|
The medieval market town of Chipping Norton has recently been the subject of a project funded by Historic England under its ‘Early Fabric in Historic Towns’ scheme for which most of the surviving early buildings were surveyed. The evidence of the built environment, together with new research on documentary sources, has added greatly to our understanding of Chipping Norton’s development from its medieval prosperity as a Cotswold wool town to its early 18th century rebuilding.
Dr Adrienne Rosen was a Lecturer in Local and Social History at Oxford University Department of Continuing Education, and is now an Emeritus Fellow of Kellogg College. She and Janice Cliffe are the authors of a new book based on the project, The Making of Chipping Norton: A Guide to its Buildings and History to 1750 (History Press, September 2017) and copies will be available at the lecture.
The Society's speaker meetings and committee meetings are held in Rewley House, Oxford (marked R).
There are metered parking spaces on the west and north sides of Wellington Square. More spaces are normally available on the west side of St Giles where it joins Woodstock Road. From here it is only a short walk down Little Clarendon Street and across Wellington Square to Rewley House.
Parking in Wellington Square is charged until 6.30p.m. and costs £3.00 for up to one hour and £5.00 for up to two. Park and Ride buses from Water Eaton, Pear Tree and Redbridge stop at the top of St Giles, a short distance from Rewley House.
Oxfordshire Architectural and Historical Society is a registered charity, registration number 259055.